The kids LOVE shrimp as much as I do! I normally don’t buy it just because it isn’t that cheap and we tend to eat it all in one sitting. Well, tonight was no exception! I came up with the Shrimp Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe not sure how it would turn out. My 3 testers all agreed it was AMAZING!!! In fact, I was planning on having leftovers for lunch tomorrow, but that will not be happening. All that is left is extra brown rice. Next time I will have to double it!
Shrimp Egg Roll in a Bowl (adapted from Healthy Feels Happy)
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 inch grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced thinly
- ½ cup carrot, cut into 1-inch julienne strips
- ½ cup red pepper, cut into 1-inch julienne strips
- 1 cup Napa cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1½ lbs. shrimp, cooked
- In a wok or skillet, stir-fry the ginger and garlic in sesame oil until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add scallions, carrots, and red pepper and stir-fry over high heat for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken broth and coconut aminos. Add the Napa cabbage and broth mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft.
- Cook the shrimp in a tsp on coconut oil.
- Add half of the sauce to the vegetable mix and half to the shrimp.
- ⅓ cup Coconut Aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
I served it over brown rice. It was so amazing! I am looking forward to having this dinner again…with leftovers for lunch!
For those following the 21 day fix, for the container amounts I measured my brown rice in the yellow, the vegetables in the green, and shrimp in the red.
1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow, 2 tsp